Who needs a Visum?

Citizens from non-EU states need a visum for taking residence in Germany. On the website of the German Federal Foreign Office you can find all relevant informations concerning the visa regulations of the German Federal Republic, including a table of the countries whose citizens require/don’t require visas to enter Germany, cf. Staatenliste zur Visumpflicht.

Citizens of Australia, Canada, Israel, Japan, New Zealand, South  Korea and the USA can obtain a residence permit after entering Germany. After four to six weeks, you can collect your residence permit personally from the local foreigners' authorities. It is initially issued for a year but may be extended.

How do I apply for a visum?

As a rule, applicants must submit visa applications, together with all necessary documents, in person at the German mission responsible for their place of residence. To avoid time-consuming requests you should consult the website of the mission well in advance of your departure date to find out about the visa procedure and about the documentation which has to be submitted. Pending on approval of the Berlin foreigners authority before a visa can be issued, the procedure can take up to three months, in some cases longer.

How do I obtain a Language Learner’s Visum?

Prior to your application for a Language Learner’s visum you must sign up and pay for your German intensive course (DaF) at Lichtenberg Kolleg e.V.. As soon as the payment of your course and registration fee (1.410 € for 6 months) you will receive our confirmation (Zulassungsbestätigung) by fax and by postal mail. On demand we can also send a fax directly to the German mission/embassy. This document in original version is the key element of your visa application. If your language learning is in preparation of a planned inscription into a German university you should find out about the equivalence of your diploma of secondary or higher education. A visum and residence permit can also be issued to those wishing to participate in a language course without thereafter going on to university.

In addition the German embassy will ask you for proof of your financial resources (at present 8.400 € per year) e.g. through a bank guarantee or blocked account or a resident in Germany provides the Aliens’ Registration Office guarantee (Verpflichtungserklärung), a travel health insurance, possibly also a certification of accommodation in Germany. German law forbids the financing of your language course through public money.

What is to be done after your arrival in Germany?
  • Within the first week you must register your residential address with the Berlin Bürgeramt / Einwohnermeldeamt and you must contract a private health insurance is supported by LK
  • After four to six weeks, you can collect your residence permit personally from the foreigners' authorities (LABO). It is initially issued for a year but may be extended.

In your application of a residence permit the Ausländerbehörde (LABO) asks you to present: Your passport / 1 new biometric foto / a recent language school certification / proof a health insurance / proof of your financial resources(e.g. blocked bank account, Verpflichtungserklärung and bank account excerpts) Please ask us in case you need our assistance in such matters!

What happens if my visa application is turned down?

In this case please send us the original version of your official visa refusal together with our original documents and mail us a detailed information of your bank account. We shall then refund your course fees minus a handling charge of 50 € and 5 % of the course fee. The registration fee is forfeited.


We can help you find a trustworthy insurance to cover your health and other risks for your stay as language student in Germany, and at a very modest and reasonable price per month.